Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Turn

Now that Keith is gone, I feel some responsibility to keep this thing going. Perhaps I should change the name...

I was contemplating how my experience will change, being here on my own. It's hard to think of improving my Mandarin since I won't be here much longer. But then it can't get worse. I've been here over a year and am still challenged to communicate at all. I do get a little practice every day, mostly ordering tea or food. And still it requires huge patience on the part of whoever I'm talking with. Here I've translated a typical experience:

Me: Please give me a dirty cup of person pork milk tea.

Vendor: umm.... Ah. You want a medium bubble tea?

Me: Right. I don't want soup.

Vendor: No sugar?

Me. right.

Vendor: 25NT

I promptly hand over my 40 NT (because I've misheard), and the vendor kindly hands back my change.

Every once in a while I run into a person who actually refuses to understand me, even when I'm sure I'm saying something correctly, because I'm a westerner and they can't grasp the concept of someone who looks like me speaking in Mandarin.

But more often than not, people are unbelievably patient and understanding. They make suggestions, mime and try their high school English as I mercilessly mangle their ancient and respected language. I won't be able to do it for much longer, so I'll try to get out there a little more.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean - I have the same problems when I go to TX to visit my mom ;)

Diorist said...

Yes, the American compression to mongrel our own language is truly a sauce of national prawns.

Kevin and Jana said...

Hi Keith and Marie,

I have your blog and have a few questions about your experience in Taiwan! I would love to email you, but have no contact information. Hopefully you will get this comment! If so, will you email me? Thank you!

Jana
kjhogan.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog. Great stuff! I was curious about the program through which you found your teaching post. I am looking forward to similar adventures as I hope to teach in France next year!