Thursday, August 21, 2008

Comments on the comments

Someone mentioned that it looked really clean in the photos. It's about as clean as D.C. or Seattle. Which is to say, not really clean, but it's a familiar amount of clean. I also have no idea how people find their scooters in these lines of bikes. I'm assuming it involves some kind of call like penguins use to find their chicks for the first time after returning from the ocean.

And I think my brother asked if we have scooters yet. The answer is absolutely not. It's difficult to explain the insanity that scooters create and inhabit on the roads. I have now seen two scooter-involved accidents. I didn't see them happen, but one of them involved a bus, so I don't want to know what it looked like. The scooters are fine with pedestrians. It's only in the main roads that speed and many, many variables make it just nuts. So no, for at least many months, Marie and I will be sticking with metro, buses, and the occasional cab.

You do see some really hilarious things go by on scooters, like a dog riding in the footwell, looking around the front wheel. Or a toy dog perched on the handle bars like a hood ornament. But I'm definitely willing to leave the use of scooters to other, more practiced or insane hands.

No comments: